Saturday 18 February 2012

I'm so street, I'm Oxford

Video gaming has gone to new levels.

In the good old days, you could sit at home in your darkened room, close the curtains to eradicate any light falling across the screen and let FIFA 98 whisk you away to the World's great stadia. Whether it was your dream to play in Parc des Princes, Wembley Stadium, Adams Park or the Bernabéu, FIFA 98 would allow you to fulfil some of your cleaner fantasies in front of a packed crowd with a staccato Barry Davies commentating.


Once the games had ended and Nintendo Thumb had set in, you could then go outside and recreate some of the action you have just played out in your living room. The perfect dat was then rounded off with the all-time greatest TV hat-trick ever to have graced our screens: Baywatch. Gladiators. Blind Date.

Times were simple. Times were fun.

The boys at FIFA have done the impossible. They've made the perfect day perfecter. Won the World Cup twice already? Time to go outside for a kick about? Oh no you don't, young Matthew. Slip this cartridge in your 64 and marvel at what is about to unfold:



FIFA Street, like Sesame and Coronation, is going to change the way we live our lives. No more will you have to worry about your child developing skin cancer, being abused by Old Age Perverts or being stolen as they can now spend their entire time in front of the telly, fantasizing that they are actually outside in the street, but without the hassle of walking all that way.

Now, I've never really been into computer games but I've developed my own home-bound external activity which saves me from exposing myself to the cold and wet weather. It's nothing new but it's something I have only discovered today. I haven't heard of anyone else doing it so I shall christen it myself. Prepare to have your mind blown as I introduce you to the world of GoogleStreetViewWalk. The rules are simple:
  1. Go to Google Maps
  2. Choose a location
  3. Go to StreetView 
Click up and down the street and try to avoid cul-de-sacs if you are not a fan of deja vu. I kid you not. It's that simple. Why, without these simple instructions, I wouldn't have found myself strolling through Uxbridge on a beautiful summers day in 2011. Nor would I have seen this member of the Village People:


To see the M, C and A, you'll need to search for 102 Oxford Street, Uxbridge and move up and down the road.

And now I must leave you as I am heading to Wembley. Its 14.1 miles so I think I will GoogleStreetViewRun. Don't follow my lead, however as you shouldn't try to GSVR before you can GSVW.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, spit it out. You're not normally this quiet so let's hear your thoughts.